Airport begins taxiway project

Posted On: May 14, 2018

Daytona Beach International Airport began a two-year project in April to rehabilitate several taxiways.  

The $35 million project involves the rehabilitation of asphalt pavements on Taxiway November and portions of Taxiways Alpha and Papa. In addition, several connectors will be modified, relocated or removed in accordance with Federal Aviation Administration standards. 

Taxiway November, which is 75 feet wide and 10,500 feet long, is the primary air carrier taxiway; it runs parallel to the longest air carrier runway, 7L-25R. 

At the end of May, Runway 7L-25R, which runs from east to west, will be closed for three to four weeks to accommodate construction near the runway. Airport neighbors may notice changes in flight patterns and an increase in north-south flight traffic throughout this period. All aircraft will use the north-south runway (16-34) or the east-west parallel runway (7R-25L) on the south side of the airfield.

There will be several multi-day runway closures throughout the first year of construction.  

The project is divided into four phases, with the first two lasting about one year. Halifax Paving is the contractor for the first two phases, and RS&H will provide inspection services and construction management. The project design was completed by Avcon. 

“We are doing everything we can to coordinate with our stakeholders and community partners,” said Airport Director Rick Karl. “The multi-day closures may be the most noticeable to neighbors because of the takeoff and landing deviations.”

Karl continued: “With nearly 313,000 aircraft operations per year, Daytona Beach International Airport is the fourth busiest in the state. This makes coordination of construction and aircraft operations critical. Construction plans take into account the heavy student training traffic at DAB along with our growing commercial service. Closures should not impact airline operations.”

The FAA is expected to fund 90 percent of the project, with the airport and Florida Department of Transportation splitting the remaining 10 percent. 

According to the latest FDOT Statewide Aviation Economic Impact Study, the Daytona Beach International Airport provides a total economic impact of over $1.1 billion to Volusia County while providing more than 11,316 local jobs. 

For more information, contact Jay Cassens, director of business development, at 386-248-8037.


Important Links:

Airline information
Latest news from DAB

Flight schedule
Departures and arrivals

Parking
Prices and locations

Security
Information from TSA