Posted On: December 23, 2020
Daytona Beach International Airport has completed its major taxiway rehabilitation project.
The $40 million, 2.5 year project involved the rehabilitation of asphalt pavement on Taxiway November and portions of Taxiways Alpha and Papa. In addition, several connectors were modified, relocated or removed in order to comply with the latest Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) construction standards. In order for the Airport to continue operating--which includes the acceptance of federal grant money-- runways, taxiways, and all airfield markings and lighting must be in a safe and serviceable condition and in accordance with the minimum standards as may be required or prescribed by applicable federal, state and local agencies for maintenance and operation.
Taxiway November, which is 75 feet wide and 10,500 feet long, is the primary air carrier taxiway; it runs parallel to the longest air carrier runway, 7L-25R.
During the construction project, there were several closures of the main runway, which caused temporary changes in traffic patterns, which did not disrupt airline operations.
“Daytona Beach International Airport has been the busiest airport in Florida for aircraft operations (takeoffs and landings) for the months of August, September and October and the second busiest for November, so you can image the level of coordination that has taken place for the duration of this construction period,” said Airport Director Karen Feaster.
“Construction plans take into account the heavy student training traffic at the airport along with our growing commercial service and with this large of a project, I’m proud there were no safety issues or disruption in airline operations.”
The project was designed by AVCON. Halifax Paving managed the first phase of the project and P & S Paving managed the second phase. Both are local contractors.
By the numbers:
Project Pavement Area
1,800,000 square feet
31 football fields
Over 115,000 Tons
Nearly 6,000 truckloads
New LED Airfield Lights (Energy savings in the thousands of dollars per year)
New LED Airfield Guidance Signs (Energy savings in the thousands of dollars per year)
New 5 kilovolt copper stranded cable
201,000 linear feet
The FAA funded 90 percent of the project, with the airport and Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) splitting the remaining 10 percent. According to the most recent FDOT Statewide Aviation Economic Impact Study, the Daytona Beach International Airport provides a total economic impact of over $2.1 billion to Volusia County while providing more than 2,382 local FTE jobs.
For more information, contact Joanne Magley, director of marketing and customer experience, at 386-248-8037.